This year, Radio Netherlands Worldwide brings you a special programme on Christmas Day, 25 December. Chris Chambers presents ‘Hear The World’, a concert from the famous Concertgebouw in Amsterdam marking the sixtieth anniversary of Radio Netherlands. You’ll be able to hear some of the best musicians from around the world including the African percussionist Ali Keita and the mezzo-soprano Tania Kross from Curacao. There’s also some homegrown talent as one of the Netherlands’ most famous bands, Blof, sing some of their best-known songs.
On shortwave, ‘Hear the World’ airs as follows:
- 1000 UTC: East/Southeast Asia 12065, East Asia 9795, Far East 6040
- 1200 UTC: Eastern N America 11675
- 1400 UTC: South Asia 9345, 12080, 15595
- 1500 UTC: South Asia 9345, 12080, 15595
- 1800 UTC: Southern Africa 6020, East/Central Africa 11655, 12050
- 1900 UTC: East Africa 11805, 12050, West Africa 17810, Central/Southern Africa 7120
- 2000 UTC: East Africa 11805, 12050, West Africa 11655, 17810, Central/Southern Africa 7120
- 0000 UTC: Eastern N America 6165
- 0100 UTC: Central N America 6165
- 0500 UTC: Western N America 6165
I was at the concert, along with many of my colleagues, and can highly recommend listening to this programme. It featured some unique collaborative performances, for example mezzo-soprano Tania Kross singing with Blof. The artists, some of whom had never met each other, let alone worked together, before rehearsals started for this concert, were clearly having a great time, and we are pleased that our English-speaking listeners around the world will get the chance to share in this unique musical event.